Retreat Packing List
Have everything you will need on your next Quilt retreat by using our Retreat Packing List. Click here for the Retreat Packing List
How to fold a quilt
- Lay your quilt on a table, bed or on the floor.
- Fold the lower right corner up toward the center of the quilt making sure the fold is on the bias. It does not matter which corner you start as long as the fold is on the bias.
- Fold the lower left corner up toward the center of the quilt making sure the fold is on the bias
- Fold the top left corner down toward the center of the quilt making sure the fold is on the bias.
- Making sure the fold is on the bias, fold the top right corner down toward the center of the quilt. Your quilt should now look like an envelope. Your can stop here if the quilt envelope or package is the desired size.
- To make the bundle smaller to fit on a shelf or perhaps in a mailing box or package, fold the quilt envelope up on itself parallel to previous fold lines.
- Thanks to Red Thread Studio on You Tube: How to Fold a Quilt on the Bias
OR: Crazy fold the quilt as we saw at our November 2022 meeting. Periodically refold the quilt to prevent creases becoming permanent.
Needle Fact: The 80/40 Rule (?)
From a QN Member: Most regular sewing thread used for seam construction is generally a 50wt thread not a 40wt. And a size 80 needle is generally used for this weight thread though some applications require a 90(needle). 40wt thread is generally used for machine quilting or machine embroidery. And most sewing machine’s needle threaders will not work with a size 70 needle . . Look at the size of your own sewing threads. Coats and Clark’s regular thread is 50wt, Aurifil is 50wt, Mettler general sewing thread, Gutterman is 50wt as well as many other of the common manufacturers.
From Schmetz Needles: What Needle Size Do I Use
The most popular thread used for all types of sewing, quilting, and
crafting is a 40 weight thread. When using a 40 weight thread, use
a size 80/12 needle.
If using a thread finer than a 40 weight, such as a 50 weight, use a
smaller needle size such as 70/10. Likewise, if using a 30 weight
thread, use a needle size larger than 80/20, such as 90/14 or larger.
Threading the Needle
When having trouble threading the needle, slightly moisten the eye of the needle (not the thread) and insert thread. Try it!!!!